-

-

Parents
  • "everyone is a bit like that"

First off, I'm HF Autistic, and have ADHD.... and I believe everyone has traits of autism, but I am firm believer in people not belittling autism, or any mental illness, because.... "Everyone is a bit like that" .  Sincere Ignorance, has to be one of the most annoying things I can imagine. But I guess with enough pushing, and teaching, these people can slowly learn. I treat ignorance, with food for thought. 
    "Oh you find it hard to talk to people"  - 'everyone is a bit like that' - "Oh, so they'll struggle to make even small talk, and know facial expressions, and social ques?", If they say "Yes" Say "Cool, they might be autistic too then." 

Well, it's 2018 and trying to think of the best way forward.

I'm really trying to make 2018 my year, I'm ripping off this persona, I've used most my life to fit in, and if I lose friends, fine. I only got diagnosed not long ago but I can confirm, it is like an epiphany. It's like everything slots into place, why certain things and events happened certain ways.

I got diagnosed a few months ago, but I really hate this persona I have, I'd prefer to be myself and happy, than someone im not and completely fake and unhappy.

I hope you find your best way forward in 2018 Ellie! 
    p.s  - Sorry if this seems slightly angry, cs' it is, I get "Everyone is like that" a lot, and it stopped me from seeking certain help for a long time.

• "everyone is a bit like that"

First off, I'm HF Autistic, and have ADHD.... and I believe everyone has traits of autism, but I am firm believer in people not belittling autism, or any mental illness, because.... "Everyone is a bit like that" .  Sincere Ignorance, has to be one of the most annoying things I can imagine. But I guess with enough pushing, and teaching, these people can slowly learn. I treat ignorance, with food for thought. 
    "Oh you find it hard to talk to people"  - 'everyone is a bit like that' - "Oh, so they'll struggle to make even small talk, and know facial expressions, and social ques?", If they say "Yes" Say "Cool, they might be autistic too then." 

Well, it's 2018 and trying to think of the best way forward.

I'm really trying to make 2018 my year, I'm ripping off this persona, I've used most my life to fit in, and if I lose friends, fine. I only got diagnosed not long ago but I can confirm, it is like an epiphany. It's like everything slots into place, why certain things and events happened certain ways.

I got diagnosed a few months ago, but I really hate this persona I have, I'd prefer to be myself and happy, than someone im not and completely fake and unhappy.

I hope you find your best way forward in 2018 Ellie! 
    p.s  - Sorry if this seems slightly angry, cs' it is, I get "Everyone is like that" a lot, and it stopped me from seeking certain help for a long time.

Children
  • I'd prefer to be myself and happy, than someone im not and completely fake and unhappy.

That is the aim...! and I am very lucky to have such wise people on here to support...but it seems one heck of a personal journey and it is tinged with sadness in that I have to gather all my inner Mo-Jo on my own.  Talk about mid-life crisis!! - :)   My OH thinks the cost of a diagnosis could be better spent.... grrrr!