Undiagnosed adult- support needed

I’m 25 and my whole life I knew I didn’t fit into society. I just had a conversation with a really close friend and they mentioned that based on everything they’ve seen me struggle with, they think I may be autistic. This is not the first time someone has told me this. (Heck, I’ve thought it consistently my whole life) I’m not sure what steps I should take, but I know that an explanation for why I’m like this would be helpful. I have a deathly fear of driving. I have been working on my separation anxiety. When I was young I had tics like rapid blinking, grunting, and stuttering; all of which I have learned to overcome. My social skills are a daily struggle, but I’ve learned to hide them so well that only those close to me can tell. Is anyone else undiagnosed, but curious out there? I would like to hear others stories. 

• I think your journey echoes many. A conversation with someone, a realisation, and a search for reasoning and answers. At first that can be painful, especially the reasoning behind some of the answers. I have found it enlightening, and in a way that gives me the freedom to look at my challenges and (hopefully) find strategies to adjust.

Alternatively, I could just be obsessing over it all. I tend to do that.

• Hi

i’m 42 and have spent a life not fitting in and screwing things up. I am currently undiagnosed and hope to go through the process of private diagnosis next year (once i’ve Saved up pennies). I’ve done my research, I joined this forum in the summer to find answers and ask questions in order to find a place where I do fit in and to understand myself more.

it has been a hell of of a journey, with “yes, me too” moments as well as epiphanies when jigsaw pieces click together and you realise looking back how you arrived at where you are now. It takes strength and side from here, I am doing this on my own....small steps and try to be kind to yourself 

ellie

x