Christmas Day shout out!

Well...Christmas will soon is upon us...... I have a house full of people (5/6 Christmas Eve, Christmas Day...increasing to 8/9 Boxing Day and the 27th December).

I am dreading it as it will mean several days without any personal space, or quiet time or escape from NTs doing their thing. They will enjoy their traditions and I will be ASD serving wench making sure that everyone has a good time, but inside i will be struggling to cope.

This is a shout out...as I am going to need some help to get me through without a tantrum, shutdown or meltdown.

Is there anyone else about during the Christmas break who is planning to be online ......it would help a great deal to keep me on an even keel!

thank you

Ellie

Parents
  • I’ll keep checking in Elie. I’ll be with my family, and they are often all sat on their phones anyway. They probably won’t be on Christmas Day as that will break their rules, but hey, I’ve always been a rule breaker so why stop now ;) I wouldn’t want to disappoint them. 

I’m finding that coming on here is really helping me so coming on here over the dreaded period will probably help me as well. 

You've got an awful lot of folk to deal with and as they say at Asda or somewhere, every little helps :-) see you on Christmas Eve X

• Thank you Blueray.....you anarchist!! Glad being here with us motley lot is helping.

the guest list is not my choice....it is just my OH is a BIG xmas and family fan! - I am fighting the urge to do a runner and hide in someone's shed until the calm returns...

let me know if you have a cupboard under your stairs that you dont mind subletting for a couple of days! - lol

I'm a skinny bint, and fold well...  

• Thank you Blueray.....you anarchist!! Glad being here with us motley lot is helping.

the guest list is not my choice....it is just my OH is a BIG xmas and family fan! - I am fighting the urge to do a runner and hide in someone's shed until the calm returns...

let me know if you have a cupboard under your stairs that you dont mind subletting for a couple of days! - lol

I'm a skinny bint, and fold well...  

Children
  • Hi Ellie so you are the one leaving ciggie ends all over the place ha ha. Joke. I have drunk some ( coping,brain switching off liquid,anxiety squasher mechanism ) fluid Lol. It certainly helped lift my mood, Many thanks and I hope you managed to get through fairly well today.

much virtual hugs ()()() x

• As it's a virtual hanging out in the shed, the smoke isn't an issue, so no need for gas masks, unless you have a thing for them, in which case, are you on the wrong forum?! haha

• Heeellloooo - anyone in the shed? I've put a bin of ice with beers and wine outside. 

I'm in the garden getting some air, blowing some blow bubbles 

I've brought a brazier with logs and some giant sparklers if anyone has got a light for them and wants one.  I've got a powder sachet that makes the fire flames different colours. 

• In some circles isn’t that called a bus stop.. .?

• I used my bedroom lightbulb to replace another in the house and ummmmm....

Well, I have a lamp so it isn't really necessary! 

• Looks like we’ve got ourselves a party. Not sure if 4 aspies in a shed is enough to consider that we’re being sociable. Maybe if we get the drink and the soft stuff out and we come out of our corners it might be consisted sociable! 

My son just came in and asked me what I’m doing in my pyjamas and wellies with my feet up on the settee!!! Then he laughed and said I’m weird - in a good way - but I’m thinking, son, you don’t know how right you are. We’re currently planning a non sociable social  party in a shed where we meet for a smoke but we might just stay in the corners to start with! Lol! 

• Hahahaha I love this. I asked my aspie friend the other day, how many aspies did she think it would take to change a light bulb!!!! My answer was, it wouldn’t matter how many, it just wouldn’t get done! Lol! But actually, if one does see the light then that one could shine that light and together, we would change the bulb, and think we were special for doing so ;) 

• I’m in, but I can’t make it this week! ;) 

• definitely, because when I used to share, just about 100% of the room knew what I was saying and could identify and visa versa. 

• Absolutely!  I've always argued that.  You only have to hear what people say.  It all makes sense.

• yeah, definitely rings a bell. I was in AA for 7 years and a couple of my friends (one definitely on the spectrum) said AA is riddled with undiagnosed autistics. 

• I understand you Lonewarrior, in fact, I just did some journaling and wrote that I’m scared to make ‘progress’ in case I end up with another lonely soulless life, but then I remind myself, that I don’t have to lower my expectations, I just have to adapt to the changing scenery. My life is just not going to look like I thought it would but if I can serve our community and in doing so make this world a better place, then I think  I can be happy, if I design my life right. 

My mum has settled for what you are talking about and in all honestly, I look at her sometimes (not literally) and realise that in many ways her life is much easier than mine and as a consequence she is more at peace than me. And she is loved very much and even if she can’t feel that love, like an nt maybe would, it seems to be enough for her and I truly respect and admire her for that. 

My diagnosis is all new to me and it is my suppprt worker who has made me realise that I need to come to terms with it and accept it. I thought I had, but I hadn’t, not really. But since she mentioned it, I am beginning to come to terms with it. 

When I think about acceptance, I feel sad, but I’ve realised, the sadness is for the life I thought I had. Which wasn’t a life at all. I was simply doing my best to survive in a world I felt I didn’t belong. 

I think all of our lives would look different, if we managed to get all of our needs met and find happiness. And I’m slowly starting to look at, what my ideal life would look like now, as an aspie. It’s early days but I truly believe we can create lives for ourselves that work for us. 

I wont give up on myself and that means I won’t give up on any of us. I’m going to keep working away at this and even if the changes don’t appear in my lifetime, I will do what I can to make it easier for those who come later. 

Oh, and the natural soft alternative would be a blessing. Then we could really have a party :-) 

• How many Aspies does it take to change a light-bulb?

One to take the old bulb out and try to see why it's not working by testing it in another light pendant. One to get a new bulb and check the wattage, also making a rough mental calculation about consumption costs per kWh and working out a yearly average of cost (accounting for seasonal changes in natural light), then doing a cost/benefit analysis based on results. One to make sure it isn't just the fuse gone in the plug. One to check the flex. One to go out and buy a new light pendant, in case it isn't the bulb after all. One to decide it's probably more environmentally-friendly to use candles. One to try to read in artificial light to save the cost of a new bulb and the cost of powering it, and also the cost of a candle and a match (or lighter fuel). One to consider the bulb as an interesting analogy for life, the cosmos and everything. One to mention the oldest still-functioning bulb in the world, and when it was manufactured, and how long it's worked for, and how much it's consumed in electricity during that time, and the cost of that accounting for the relevant prices for each historical period. One to discuss the various criteria that might come into play to affect the life of a bulb - number of times switched on and off during OCD episodes, etc. One to wonder whether or not the old bulb can be recycled. One to simply see the light....

Actually... that probably means just one single Aspie!

• amazing!! - just joined!

• In what context?  That's my argument entirely!

• came across this the other day.....x...rang a bell!

• Bloomin' eck Tom! - This is turning "other worldly"...... give me some mushrooms and a bottle of wine and I'll sit in the corner blowing smoke rings from my trunk and trying to catch the sparkles (that only i can see) to put into a sparkle jar!

• Your shed is your place for YOU to YOU.  That's ok, no need to be sorry.  Outside is fine, I love being outdoors. 

• Festivals are great, mad places and experiences. I worked at one a few years ago because I've never had anyone interested in going. 

• good job you swapped it in for pain killers - lol!