PIP result & reduction of services

After 4 months of waiting for my paper-based assessment of my DLA to PIP claim to be completed, I received word of a reduction of entitlement for daily living and no mobility. This means I am not longer entitled to certain services.

I have ASD, long-standing depression, severe chronic anxiety.  All of my difficulties have been lifelong or I have suffered for most of my life. I have no friends due to social difficulties relating to understanding, anxiety and communication.

I scored 2 points for mixing with people (prompting) but it is absurd to judge mere prompting is all I need. My therapist was even clear to the assessor that making me sit through a face to face assessment would be unhelpful due to the level of anxiety I suffer from. I still can’t even see my therapist without extreme anxiety. I also scored 0 for communication despite my difficulties in communicating my needs, thoughts and emotions relating to ASD and mutism. I only scored 4 points for mobility despite having limited ability to leave the house or parents car. I can lose awareness of my surroundings while outdoors too.

It would seem the assessors have limited understanding of Autism. My therapist had to explain what it meant. I am not sure why they feel confident and qualified enough to agree on my needs without putting more weight on evidence I sent. I also scored no points for managing medication despite being a recognised self-harm risk.

I sent my Autism diagnostic report which clarifies communication is part of the diagnosis. I wrote in detail how my condition effects me and provided other written reports. They didn’t seem to put much weight in any of it. Other than depression, I didn’t score much for my more complex needs.

Due to a fear of being misunderstood, my answers were quite lengthy and I tried to give examples but it didn’t seem to help.

I am exhausted with the whole process and I feel little hope that I can challenge the decision properly. I have limited support due to my difficulties engaging with others, so I don’t have any backup from the mental health team.

Parents
  • My pip was almost exactly the same. I was given standard without mobility .. I tried the mandatory reconsideration but no change. I couldn’t face the wait for the next stage or face a tribunal so have dropped it. 

• My pip was almost exactly the same. I was given standard without mobility .. I tried the mandatory reconsideration but no change. I couldn’t face the wait for the next stage or face a tribunal so have dropped it. 

Children
No Data