Is this a forum where I can get help with sensory overwhelm in my workplace?

Hi everyone,

I have been in employment for 4-5 years on a part time basis - now for 2 full days a week in an office job I love.

Since diagnosis, there are some situations I handle much better than before - but still some where I just need someone to talk to for a short while. My boss does not want me to speak to my colleagues as it distracts them from their work, or to speak to colleagues in nearby offices as she's worried about confidentiality. Besides, it is better if it's someone completely separate to the situation who can see the situation impartially, ie doesn't know me or my boss and so can be objective.

Is there a service who can provide telephone counselling on an ad-hoc basis for adults with Aspergers to cope with workplace stress? It would be good if it were the same person each time, or one of a few people, as they'd get to know me and my boss/colleagues and be better able to judge what is happening and the best way to handle the situation.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Julia Evans

Parents
  • Is there a service who can provide telephone counselling on an ad-hoc basis for adults with Aspergers to cope with workplace stress?

I do not know of any such service but you may find something on this web page:
    http://www.autismlinks.co.uk/support-groups/group-support-scotland/adultaspergersfamilysupportgroup

• Hi Caretwo,

Found a group of interest on the first link you kindly provided - a Lambeth Social group for Adults with Autism, so I am enquiring to learn more, in the meantime I've liked their Facebook page and followed it. Sadly they don't have a "group" on the site, so it looks like everything I'd post or say in reply would be public, so hesitant to do so. But I already belong to a private group on FB for women with Aspergers - they help me but can't always be there when I am in "crisis" of course (no-one person can,, I realise).

The second service says it's a family support group - my family are not at all interested in my request for diagnosis, nor in its outcome. They continue to treat me as before (which is fine). There was a time when I couldn't communicate with my sister at all (due to my inability to listen and talking over her) - and a diagnosis then would have helped explain that it really was unintentional. But I have improved massively in my anxiety and so (with the occasional "blip") we communicate just fine now.

Work is the main place where I am sometimes unable to explain myself to my manager. My colleagues sometimes understand a little (or are at least compassionate) but my boss doesn't want me to talk to them, distracting them from their work and also because it may upset them to see me upset. Best to have someone impartial anyway.

Any further advice for "crisis support" welcomed - ideally from an autism perspective. But I do realise I can (if necessary) call Samaritans (tho NOT suicidal) or one of the other helplines. Not sure if my EE plan charges for those calls.

• You might find something of help in the TUC's document 'Autism in the Workplace':
    https://www.tuc.org.uk/sites/default/files/Autism.pdf

• Julia wrote:

This is an EXCELLENT document - thank you so much. It makes some excellent points about the need for order in meetings and avoiding background smells in the environment.

With the background smells issue you could maybe get (or the company to get) an ioniser device to purify the air and keep odours to a minimum, and or you could use an essential oil to smell and keep the old smell buds pleasantly occupied, with desired states of mind enhanced ~ calm, serene, clear or whatever suits you most.

I get my essential oils from a place called Niel's Yard Remedies, but as as long as the oils are natural and organic you cannot go to far wrong really. If you are a novice to essential oils; be careful not to sniff too many testers mind you ~ gently does it and all that.

• Julia wrote:

This is an EXCELLENT document - thank you so much. It makes some excellent points about the need for order in meetings and avoiding background smells in the environment.

With the background smells issue you could maybe get (or the company to get) an ioniser device to purify the air and keep odours to a minimum, and or you could use an essential oil to smell and keep the old smell buds pleasantly occupied, with desired states of mind enhanced ~ calm, serene, clear or whatever suits you most.

I get my essential oils from a place called Niel's Yard Remedies, but as as long as the oils are natural and organic you cannot go to far wrong really. If you are a novice to essential oils; be careful not to sniff too many testers mind you ~ gently does it and all that.

Children
No Data