First awareness of public meltdown and scared by it

I had an embarrassing meltdown/stim recently which was a shock to me and I can laugh about it now, but at the time it was horrible.

It's embarrassing to say, but I hope you will laugh with this. 

I was a small supermarket and one of those ride-on floor cleaners with the operational beep was going round.

the beep from it echoed off and you couldn't really tell where it was, but wherever I went it seemed to be after me!

I went into a corner point of a T section, shaking, gripping my hands to prevent stimming and whispering 'don't let it get me' repeatedly, at the same time having a horrified out of body experience telling me to get a grip and pull myself together.  Then there was a bottle neck at the end of the T section and it was held up, I couldn't move in case it came down that aisle following me - what to do?!  gosh I felt so ridiculous! 

I heard someone saying "help me! help me!" and when a staff member filling the shelves opposite came over to me, I realised it was me saying that! Oh no!  Talk about wanting the ground to open up and swallow you!  What do I do now!   If I say I don't feel well, there will be fuss, a chair, water.... don't want that!  oh no!  I told her one truth, that one of those machines in another supermarket nearly knocked me flying a few weeks ago and hearing this one put me in a panic attack and asked if she'd walk me to the check out!  I felt so ridiculous but she was brilliant. if I hear one of those things in a supermarket now, I walk out because I don't want to risk another meltdown! 

It's funny now. 

I'm not aware of having anything like that before, maybe in other ways but not like that and it's scared me because I wasn't in control, it was a vulnerable state and I have no idea what i would have done if that machine had come down that aisle.  If nothing else, it has convinced me that I do need to get tested and diagnosed.

Parents Reply
  • Thanks I will do. 

That's a good idea but I am not sure about noise cancelling, I need to know whats going on around in me in public places where I might perceive danger like the supermarket floor cleaner! It's a balancing act between blocking out things and being on alert for things!  Contrary!

Children
No Data