Autism traits increase thoughts of suicide in people with psychosis

People with autism traits who have psychosis are at a greater risk of depression and thoughts of suicide, new research has found.

The research, led by Professor Stephen Wood at Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health, showed that, among people with psychosis, depressive symptoms and thoughts of self-harm were not because of the psychosis, but instead were linked to the level of autism traits a person had.

www.eurekalert.org/.../otnc-ati121217.php

Parents
  • This is a real problem. What comes to mind to me, is all the suffering we experience leading up to the suicidal thoughts. We’re clearly not getting the help we need. It’s so confusing. I’ve been thinking recently that I’m experiencing some form of psychosis, so like Eli said, isn’t autism itself a form of psychosis? All these descriptions hurt my head.

It makes me start thinking, why do some of us struggle so much in this world. It’s like the more I understand, the less I know and the more confusing it is. There must be thousands of people, undiagnosed or misdiagnosed and the danger with a misdiagnosis is that some people are put on horrific drugs. Who are we? Why aren’t we like ‘normal’ people who all seem quite mad to me. Are we just part of a big crazy experiment? Put a load of these human species together and watch how they fight and kill each other. Watch how they all go mad. Maybe we’re not. Maybe it’s all the crazy social rules that some people impose on us. 

I’m happy to hear your son [DongFeng5] has got benefit from getting a cat. I’m thinking of getting one. Either that or a small dog, I can’t decide. I think it might have to be a dog though, even though I’d rather have a cat because I’d have to have an indoor cat and I’m not sure if that’s quite right. And what do I do with it if I want to go travelling or walk the Pacific Crest Trail? Why can’t life be simple? 

Thanks for the article anyway. I’m not sure what my head makes of it just now. 

Do you think it’s all about connection. We seem to be missing the link that enables us to connect, yet we connect on here? I seem to care but not care. I feel for you DongFeng, I can’t imagine what it would be like having a child like me. I’m glad he’s safe and getting some comfort from his new friend and that he’s got parents who support him. 

• We all wear masks BluRay and most of us seek that connectivity....trying to square the circle that the more we connect here..the more we can feel disconnect...”out there” 

• Yeah, maybe, although at present, I’m feeling like the more I connect here, the less I am bothered by the lack of connection out there. It makes me feel like I’m not alone and you guys give me the strength to carry on as well as some good laughs and anyway, isn’t this one of the best ways for us aspies to connect :) 

• Yeah, maybe, although at present, I’m feeling like the more I connect here, the less I am bothered by the lack of connection out there. It makes me feel like I’m not alone and you guys give me the strength to carry on as well as some good laughs and anyway, isn’t this one of the best ways for us aspies to connect :) 

Children
No Data