Parents
  • I have several up to date CVs.   Several because I have four advisors all giving different advice.  Job centre insists I remove address for confidentiality and security.  Recruitment agency insists it must be included.

Also different CVs for different types of jobs.

Some CVs are economical with the truth.

I include a unique customised covering letter with each CV.  I do a better job than one of my advisors. She wrote a letter for me with a Dear Sir/Madam  and closed with yours sincerely.  I prompted her and she said "it doesn't matter". 

Other issues are clean interview suits and paying attention to personal hygiene.

Many websites give endless advice.  My favourite is the University of Kent careers site.

• What are you supposed to end a letter with when you put Dear Sir/Madam? I think I remember learning this at some point and I’ve clearky forgotten. 

• You put 

Yours faithfully,

NOT

Yours sincerely,

Even I, who failed English language O level five times, knows that!

• Yeah,  me to, mostly self taught and also able to mostly instinctively know the correct grammar but the formal parts and words just hurt my brain. I keep going back to it but it doesn’t seem to get any easier. 

• After years and years of experience I know most of the correct grammar instinctively.

I just cannot identify the formal parts or understand the jargon used by the experts.

I get told off for using split infinitives.  What the f**K is an infinitive.

To make matters worse I went to college with one guy who was an expert.  Grammar school, ten 'O' levels plus English 'A' level.  I went to special schools and normal comprehensive.

He was always correcting me and once asked  me,  if I was taught English, or did I just pick it up?

He was right, I am self taught.

• I’ve been at learning this stuff for years but even though I love reading and writing and I love the granmer side of things, I just can’t seem to get my head around a lot of it. I think I need to be taught it in a different way. Maybe I’ll do a course in it someday. 

• These are very basic.

I am still struggling to learn formal English grammar at this moment.

Topics like tenses:

Present simple,

Present continuous, 

Past simple,

Past continuous,

Present perfect simple,

Present perfect continuous,

The differences and similarities etc.  Are doing my head in.

• These are very basic.

I am still struggling to learn formal English grammar at this moment.

Topics like tenses:

Present simple,

Present continuous, 

Past simple,

Past continuous,

Present perfect simple,

Present perfect continuous,

The differences and similarities etc.  Are doing my head in.

Children
  • Yeah,  me to, mostly self taught and also able to mostly instinctively know the correct grammar but the formal parts and words just hurt my brain. I keep going back to it but it doesn’t seem to get any easier. 

• After years and years of experience I know most of the correct grammar instinctively.

I just cannot identify the formal parts or understand the jargon used by the experts.

I get told off for using split infinitives.  What the f**K is an infinitive.

To make matters worse I went to college with one guy who was an expert.  Grammar school, ten 'O' levels plus English 'A' level.  I went to special schools and normal comprehensive.

He was always correcting me and once asked  me,  if I was taught English, or did I just pick it up?

He was right, I am self taught.

• I’ve been at learning this stuff for years but even though I love reading and writing and I love the granmer side of things, I just can’t seem to get my head around a lot of it. I think I need to be taught it in a different way. Maybe I’ll do a course in it someday.