Road to Diagnosis...

Ok, had my phone assessment. 
I get discussed in the weekly meeting tomorrow, and will get a letter saying Yay or Nay in a couple of weeks.

If it's a yes, then it'll be an 8 MONTH wait.

This is Norfolk/Suffolk btw.

As it's something which isn't registering in my mind as important for me to know (In my head I already know) I don't feel anxious or annoyed with the long wait at all.

I'm just... :|

Parents
  • Jonesy's reasons for wanting diagnosis are very similar to mine.

I was referred by my GP to the Gloucestershire multi-disciplinary ASD team 7 months ago and accepted for diagnosis 6 months 1 week ago.  A few weeks ago I was 'phoned with a first 3-hour appointment for last Friday, with the second in mid-Jan.  Their estimate of 'in about 6 months' was absolutely spot on (I was going to chase them if I hadn't heard by now).

My wife and I both went to the first one.  I'd sent, unrequested, a 26 page list of what I'd been like as a child, youth and up to present day, in lieu of my parents being there as informants.  They had read it (I'm sorry it was so long), and even asked at the end of the meeting for the 6 page addendum of things written after the 26 page list.

The first thing they asked was why I wanted an assessment and how I'd feel if I got a diagnosis - and how I would feel if said I was not Autistic.  The latter got me worried.  They pointed out that they have to diagnose according to the NICE criteria and I wonder if, even though I have a lot of traits, scored 46 on AQ-50 and 8 on EQ-60 (and, no, I wasn't trying to answer the questions in either way), I cope too well for them to class me as having a Disability.

Apart from that, it was a fascinating and interesting chat, with my wife saying a few things about me that I hadn't realised.  She's self-diagnosed as HfASD/Aspie, can't see the point of seeking a diagnosis for herself, but supportive of my decision.

• Jonesy's reasons for wanting diagnosis are very similar to mine.

I was referred by my GP to the Gloucestershire multi-disciplinary ASD team 7 months ago and accepted for diagnosis 6 months 1 week ago.  A few weeks ago I was 'phoned with a first 3-hour appointment for last Friday, with the second in mid-Jan.  Their estimate of 'in about 6 months' was absolutely spot on (I was going to chase them if I hadn't heard by now).

My wife and I both went to the first one.  I'd sent, unrequested, a 26 page list of what I'd been like as a child, youth and up to present day, in lieu of my parents being there as informants.  They had read it (I'm sorry it was so long), and even asked at the end of the meeting for the 6 page addendum of things written after the 26 page list.

The first thing they asked was why I wanted an assessment and how I'd feel if I got a diagnosis - and how I would feel if said I was not Autistic.  The latter got me worried.  They pointed out that they have to diagnose according to the NICE criteria and I wonder if, even though I have a lot of traits, scored 46 on AQ-50 and 8 on EQ-60 (and, no, I wasn't trying to answer the questions in either way), I cope too well for them to class me as having a Disability.

Apart from that, it was a fascinating and interesting chat, with my wife saying a few things about me that I hadn't realised.  She's self-diagnosed as HfASD/Aspie, can't see the point of seeking a diagnosis for herself, but supportive of my decision.

Children
No Data