What to say when asked about employment?

• Hi Alopochen, google charities near you and then go and talk to them. They don't always list online everything they want - and often they didn't realise how useful it would be to have someone who knows how to handle a database inside out until a volunteer turns up with that skill. And whilst you don't want to volunteer to do something that will make you feel anxious or very uncomfortable, don't discount things that you might not have considered to begin with. I have someone who I suggested helped in the kitchen preparing a course for the cafe. To begin with she would only prepare food on a table by the door, away from everyone else - which was absolutely fine. Gradually though she has made it into the centre of the kitchen and now is very comfortable with the whole team in the kitchen but she really wasn't sure to begin with. She is now in charge of preparing and cooking the desserts for 30 people and does a great job. A good charity will accommodate you, adapt to your needs and any situations you find difficult. 

Go for it - if you hate it then stop! 

• My advice would be to contact charities directly rather than through a citywide charity coordinator. That way you should be able to set up a meeting with them, have a look around and get a feel for the place.

And although they will want references, not every position needs a DBS check - it depends if you will be working with vulnerable adults or children, and if you are supervised or not. Even having a record wouldn't bar you from working with a charity. I feel that smaller charities are more flexible perhaps in finding you the perfect role. 

• I appreciate your post.  And I am currently registered with my local citywide charity coordinator.  Where I state my interests and experience and the type of roles I'm looking for.  

So far no concrete leads, last month one charity invited me to an informal interview and we both agreed I was unsuitable.  It was to provide emotional help and support to parents with problem children under the age of seven.

The latest  ones to  contact me are the RSPCA.

Most still require references and DBS checks.

• I'm a volunteer coordinator for a local charity, (so I'm probably biased!) but I would recommend volunteering. My latest volunteer has Aspergers and to begin with he is helping out in an IT drop-in group, helping older people to get online, but I have another job in mind for him, helping us set up a database for a new food bank. He has volunteered previously with the NT and moved within the organisation to managing other volunteers and working with their database. He enjoyed it and found it very beneficial. But he isn't the only volunteer I have with Aspergers. Many don't say and I understand why, not wishing to be put into any kind of box, perhaps unsure of the reaction, but we treat each volunteer as an individual and try to ensure everyone has a role they enjoy and gain benefit from. And for most volunteers, it is the social side of the role that they are looking for, whether they have just retired from work or their kids have just started school. 

The are so many volunteering roles out there - within our own charity it could be cooking for the cafe, serving, teaching IT, helping in craft groups, working in the gardens, helping school children to garden, working on our website, producing the newsletter, leading walks, supporting young mums, research, fundraising,... the list is extensive and I am always willing to look at setting up a new group if I have a volunteer who comes to make a suggestion. Currently, I am looking to set up a social art group for people with Aspergers who are feeling isolated, as I have had several requests for this. 

When a new volunteer comes to me I start by asking what their interests are. I show them what we do and usually there is something that sparks their interest. And if you decide it's not for you, that's fine! It is worth trying. It will show you what you don't enjoy at the very least and may point you in another direction. So you don't have to be sure that you'll like it before you start. Set a time limit if you like - and tell the organisation that you are trying it for 6 weeks. 

It doesn't have to tie you down either. I have volunteers who come in 2 or 3 times a week and some that come once a month - or even less. It is up to you. 

And it's good on a CV. We do put volunteers on training courses as well which can help them to find work - and many of them have gone on to find work. I am happy to be a reference on a CV for a volunteer I have worked with, which can be useful to them too. 

• I have a few experiences in common.  In my youth I also tried to teach myself accounting.  I even did a part time evening course and obtained a grade A in GCSE accounting.  And a first level OU module in it.  But it's boring as hell.

As far as investing. I did a module as part of a bigger course.  The short selling, long selling. Stocks and options.  The UK models, European ones, the US and Asian ones.  And all the differences between them.  It did my head in.  And most of the maths was beyond me.  Just been looking back at some of my notes at topics like the Arbitrage Theorem and the Black-Scholes option pricing formula.  Yuk!