DLA/PIP & Asperger's.

Good evening all.

I am writing on behalf of my husband who was diagnosed with Asperger's around 17 years ago, at the age of 15. He is now 32 and of course still very much has difficulties. I have previously worked with Autistic young adults but am now a paramedic, so although I am a medical professional I am absolutely not a psychiatrist or even remotely qualified to discuss any diagnosis on the spectrum. My husband has been in receipt of DLA lifetime award (lower rate care and mobility) for many many years now, and as most of you are aware this is changing to PIP. He currently still gets DLA until this switchover happens. I guess the real question here is could he be eligible for the enhanced mobility as well as enhanced care? When looking through he descriptors and point scoring system we feel he qualifies for 26 points daily living care and then 12 points in the mobility section. He is able bodied (physically) but psychologically not, especially where planning and completing journeys, and communication difficulties that cause him absolute psychological distress if and when he's put in that position. If I'm with him he's fine to go places, but if not then he won't go out as I work long 12.5 hour shifts. He's probably he smartest and intelligent person that I know, but going  outdoors without me is a huge no no for him.

Does anyone else have experience with PIP enhanced care and mobility and Asperger's? I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth trying to fight and whether we stand a good enough chance as i want to keep the suffering of mental health to a bare minimum for him, as his anxiety will peak just like it did with the ESA support group tribunal, but we thankfully won that.

Sorry for the essay I have written and I hope you all have a pleasant evening. 

Tx 

Parents
  • Not according to the paramedic that done my son's f2f my son is aspergers autistic adhd blind in one eye server behaviour problems type 1 diabetic server depression but according to the paramedic there is nothing wrong with him she would not let me speak on his behalf so said that he can communicate ,just waiting now on the pip decision

• The nightmare of going through the process of claiming PIP Triumph  You have my sympathy.

I went to a debt advice agency last week.  And among their multiple suggestions was that I should also consider applying for PIP.

Reply Children
No Data