What do Aspie women (and men) think?

Hey everyone - I've been pretty inactive on the forums as I emigrated to Germany four years ago and have been struggling to find my feet here, but I secured a diagnosis, which was really a huge relief!

Anyway, I had the opportunity to give a TEDx talk and I would love to hear what you think about it... did I actually represent the Aspie community accurately? I should have asked beforehand, but honestly didn't think about how far this video would go afterwards - I'd hate to think that I have made anyone else's life more difficult by telling my own story!

I hope you enjoy the talk either way, and I've had some feedback from people saying that they could relate to this and honestly, that made ME feel more like I'm not alone! Emigrating has been tough - I am extremely socially isolated but dealing with that is a challenge. Either way, it was nice to reach out into the ether in an unconventional way and experience understanding. I hope you all find the same!!

Parents
  • What a fantastic talk Sarai, thanks for sharing! Lots of what you say sounds rather familiar, especially the "don't worry, you will be fine" thing. Strange isn't it, we may manage to identify problems quite accurately but nobody believes us, then it does happen exactly like we feared, and we get told this is all our fault, we probably didn't want it to go any better... 

• SO MUCH THIS! I used to try and bring this issue up with friends when I was younger and say that I didn't think that I was going to get married and of course they all said "You'll be the first to get married!" Then now that I am still struggling to even get into a relationship, I get told that I should have done this or should have done that or lie or pretend or act a certain way, and I keep trying to point out that I've tried all of those things and STILL failed. It doesn't help that when you do try to edit yourself, you give the person the wrong impression and then they get disappointed and leave. It feels good to hear that I am not alone but... it also makes me sad to know that other people also have to live with this feeling of... just feeling like things might never work out.

• SO MUCH THIS! I used to try and bring this issue up with friends when I was younger and say that I didn't think that I was going to get married and of course they all said "You'll be the first to get married!" Then now that I am still struggling to even get into a relationship, I get told that I should have done this or should have done that or lie or pretend or act a certain way, and I keep trying to point out that I've tried all of those things and STILL failed. It doesn't help that when you do try to edit yourself, you give the person the wrong impression and then they get disappointed and leave. It feels good to hear that I am not alone but... it also makes me sad to know that other people also have to live with this feeling of... just feeling like things might never work out.

Children
No Data