Private Asberger Diagnosis? UK

So I'm 21, still in Uni whilst running a website business and working part time to support myself.

I have the option to go for an assessment with a private psychiatrist since my local GP isn't accepting any new appointments every time I've called up for the past few weeks.

I've been passed through the NHS to therapy for OCD/Anxiety/Depression multiple times in the past and it's taken months to go through the process each time. I'm less reliant on seeking therapy or medication (Never have tried it, and am uneasy at the thought) as I have everything (Bar my social life) fairly well planned out.

I've had people suggest Asbergers or autism before might be the reason for my symptoms, and once it was said to me it made sense, and the things I've tried to treat in the past (OCD/Anxiety) just kind of made sense. Obviously I knew that wasn't a reason to jump to self diagnose so I called up a private hospital and they referred me to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrists office said they believed they could help and I was a valid possible assessment.

I've heard that private diagnosis' are often not recognised (I'm not planning on collecting any benefits or anything like that). If I do have Asbergers I would like a official, recognised diagnosis just for my own peace of mind. Also to explain to people, my GP or other medical professionals should I ever need to. I'm worried the NHS or anybody really might say 'It's not a real diagnosis, or you need a second diagnosis'.

Would going the Private diagnosis route still be recognised by the NHS and major organisations? 

Parents
  • I was diagnosed privately a couple of years ago after finally giving up waiting for the nhs. I’m 46 so there was next to no chance of accessing any gp services.

The consultant I found was brilliant. Very thorough and very experienced in adult diagnosis so she made the whole process manageable and accessible even though it was quite a challenging and nervous process for myself.

She prepared a thorough report and it was sent direct to my gp and I’ve had no problems with it being acknowledged by them.

However I will caveat that by saying even with the diagnosis it makes little difference to the outside world from what I can see, though I’m sure that’s tempered by my age. What it has helped with though is my own understanding. Why I behave and react the way I do to situations and from that respect it’s been a godsend.

it wasn’t cheap but in my view well worth it, I still find every day a challenge but at least I know it’s not my fault anymore and I can learn ways of coping with each challenge as it comes along. That of itself is worth the world to me.

If you’d like her details to have a look and find a bit more about it let me know and I can forward them to you.

good luck and all the best

• I was diagnosed privately a couple of years ago after finally giving up waiting for the nhs. I’m 46 so there was next to no chance of accessing any gp services.

The consultant I found was brilliant. Very thorough and very experienced in adult diagnosis so she made the whole process manageable and accessible even though it was quite a challenging and nervous process for myself.

She prepared a thorough report and it was sent direct to my gp and I’ve had no problems with it being acknowledged by them.

However I will caveat that by saying even with the diagnosis it makes little difference to the outside world from what I can see, though I’m sure that’s tempered by my age. What it has helped with though is my own understanding. Why I behave and react the way I do to situations and from that respect it’s been a godsend.

it wasn’t cheap but in my view well worth it, I still find every day a challenge but at least I know it’s not my fault anymore and I can learn ways of coping with each challenge as it comes along. That of itself is worth the world to me.

If you’d like her details to have a look and find a bit more about it let me know and I can forward them to you.

good luck and all the best

Children
No Data