Special interests ?

Could someone explain to me what defines special interests ? How is it different from hobbies?

I don't think I have special interests but will explain what I do do.

For years I have been frequently checking my rss feeds and later Twitter for articles to post on forums. These are primarily mental health related and secondarily political and general articles .

I also save many of these articles to my usb drive .

Whilst thinking this does not qualify as special interests I have a feeling it is not typical NT behaviour either.

Parents
  • firemonkey: said:

Could someone explain to me what defines special interests ? How is it different from hobbies?

In the autistic sense ~ it relates to a narrow or singular range of interests (which I consider to be fascinations rather than as such obsessions as neurotypicals tend to think of them) that are more personal in nature than as such social. As for being different to hobbies ~ not so much, really.

firemonkey: said:

For years I have been frequently checking my rss feeds and later Twitter for articles to post on forums. These are primarily mental health related and secondarily political and general articles .

Whilst thinking this does not qualify as special interests I have a feeling it is not typical NT behaviour either.

I think this could be counted as a special interest, but of course there is to be considered that autism is a spectrum range condition so you may not be as devout to it as a subject matter as another autist or aspergian is theirs.

If you have a tendency to go into or have to resist going into the details of this particular interest longer than others might find interesting, then this would apply in the sense usually being referred to.

Consider for instance the main reason I chose the Easter Island Avatar head, and the user name Deepthought ~ was on account that often by the time I realise I have been thinking or speaking in too much depth and detail for far too long, usually about the state of existence and so fourth, a great deal of sedimentary dust has settled and I am stuck up to my neck in "it" ~ with "it" being uncomfortable social-dilemma scenarios.

• firemonkey: said:

In the autistic sense ~ it relates to a narrow or singular range of interests (which I consider to be fascinations rather than as such obsessions as neurotypicals tend to think of them) that are more personal in nature than as such social. As for being different to hobbies ~ not so much, really.

firemonkey: said:

I think this could be counted as a special interest, but of course there is to be considered that autism is a spectrum range condition so you may not be as devout to it as a subject matter as another autist or aspergian is theirs.

If you have a tendency to go into or have to resist going into the details of this particular interest longer than others might find interesting, then this would apply in the sense usually being referred to.

Consider for instance the main reason I chose the Easter Island Avatar head, and the user name Deepthought ~ was on account that often by the time I realise I have been thinking or speaking in too much depth and detail for far too long, usually about the state of existence and so fourth, a great deal of sedimentary dust has settled and I am stuck up to my neck in "it" ~ with "it" being uncomfortable social-dilemma scenarios.

Children
No Data