Progress!

I finally have a date for assessment. Having waited months on the NHS I eventually opted for private and although it is expensive, it will really help me at university because you need a diagnosis for educational support. 

It's at the end of this month using the ADOS model. I'm not sure what that is yet but I have asked for some information so I have an idea what to expect on the day (they didn't have a timetable which would have been more helpful). I know it is going to be a difficult day with lots of questions, does anybody have any advice on how to make assessment as comfortable as possible? Ideally I'd take a colouring book with me but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Parents
  • I'm sure you can bring a colouring book, why not? They probably won't want you to use it while doing the test unless you need it to calm yourself down before you can continue, but you may also need to wait a while or something, so if that helps you I would definitely take it with me. 

The ADOS module 4 is about tasks to assess how you do in the areas below. It's probably best to simply be yourself and not think too much whether you behave "correctly". I'd think tasks are only part of the assessment, for one thing because they will also want to take into consideration what you were like when you were younger and some things will just be awkward for adults to be assess through tasks, so they'll perhaps sometimes also just ask how/if you usually do certain things.

Language and Communication A1. Overall Level of Non-Echoed Language
      A2. Speech Abnormalities Associated with Autism
      A3. Immediate Echolalia
      A4. Stereotyped/Idiosyncratic Use of Words or Phrases
      A5. Offers Information
      A6. Asks for Information
      A7. Reporting of Events
      A8. Conversation
      A9. Descriptive, Conventional, Instrumental, or Informational Gestures
      A10. Emphatic or Emotional Gestures
    Reciprocal Social Interaction B1. Unusual Eye Contact
      B2. Facial Expressions Directed to Others
      B3. Language Production and Linked Nonverbal Communication
      B4. Shared Enjoyment in Interaction
      B5. Communication of Own Affect
      B6. Empathy/Comments on Others' Emotions
      B7. Insight
      B8. Responsibility
      B9. Quality of Social Overtures
      B10. Quality of Social Response
      B11. Amount of Reciprocal Social Communication
      B12. Overall Quality of Rapport
    Imagination C1. Imagination/Creativity
    Stereotyped Behaviors and Restricted Interests D1. Unusual Sensory Interest in Play Material/Person
      D2. Hand and Finger and Other Complex Mannerisms
      D3. Self-Injurious Behavior
      D4. Excessive Interest in or References to Unusual or Highly Specific Topics or Objects or Repetitive Behaviors
      D5. Compulsions or Rituals
    Other Abnormal Behaviors E1. Overactivity/Agitation
      E2. Tantrums, Aggression, Negative or Disruptive Behavior
      E3. Anxiety
  • I'm sure you can bring a colouring book, why not? They probably won't want you to use it while doing the test unless you need it to calm yourself down before you can continue, but you may also need to wait a while or something, so if that helps you I would definitely take it with me. 

The ADOS module 4 is about tasks to assess how you do in the areas below. It's probably best to simply be yourself and not think too much whether you behave "correctly". I'd think tasks are only part of the assessment, for one thing because they will also want to take into consideration what you were like when you were younger and some things will just be awkward for adults to be assess through tasks, so they'll perhaps sometimes also just ask how/if you usually do certain things.

Language and Communication A1. Overall Level of Non-Echoed Language
      A2. Speech Abnormalities Associated with Autism
      A3. Immediate Echolalia
      A4. Stereotyped/Idiosyncratic Use of Words or Phrases
      A5. Offers Information
      A6. Asks for Information
      A7. Reporting of Events
      A8. Conversation
      A9. Descriptive, Conventional, Instrumental, or Informational Gestures
      A10. Emphatic or Emotional Gestures
    Reciprocal Social Interaction B1. Unusual Eye Contact
      B2. Facial Expressions Directed to Others
      B3. Language Production and Linked Nonverbal Communication
      B4. Shared Enjoyment in Interaction
      B5. Communication of Own Affect
      B6. Empathy/Comments on Others' Emotions
      B7. Insight
      B8. Responsibility
      B9. Quality of Social Overtures
      B10. Quality of Social Response
      B11. Amount of Reciprocal Social Communication
      B12. Overall Quality of Rapport
    Imagination C1. Imagination/Creativity
    Stereotyped Behaviors and Restricted Interests D1. Unusual Sensory Interest in Play Material/Person
      D2. Hand and Finger and Other Complex Mannerisms
      D3. Self-Injurious Behavior
      D4. Excessive Interest in or References to Unusual or Highly Specific Topics or Objects or Repetitive Behaviors
      D5. Compulsions or Rituals
    Other Abnormal Behaviors E1. Overactivity/Agitation
      E2. Tantrums, Aggression, Negative or Disruptive Behavior
      E3. Anxiety
Children
No Data