AUTISTIC PEOPLE ON THE (N.A.S.) INTERNET, And "How-To" Use It...#2.

AUTISTIC PEOPLE ON THE (N.A.S.) INTERNET, And "How-To" Use It...#2.

A continuation from the first "Thread", which is now quite long, yet only at times digressing.
If anyone cannot find the previous "Thread", then have a go at entering parts of the title of this here thread, into a "Search"-Box.
...Certainly, All who visit, are welcome to paste anything into either that previous Thread or into this new one.

(As always, glad tidings and a generous Thank You, to one and all from myself.) また... がんばって 下さいな...

Parents
  • I'm wondering if the NAS website designers are autistic perhaps? That would be a good thing, I guess. Maybe the person who made the Sign In thing always changes from their walking shoes into the office shoes while signing in, which takes 11.5 seconds and therefore signing in has to take that long, otherwise no work can be done in the wrong shoes.

And signing in when prompted - well, someone suggested there should be such an option, so that's how that button came about, they didn't specifically say it should work, let alone that it should take you back to where you were before without deleting what you have written. The Sign In designer never understood what the reason for this would be because they sign in the moment they go online, always.

Somehow I believe to remember that the new website was supposed to be optimised for use on phones (maybe I'm wrong?), but those that designed it do perhaps not agree with everyone walking around with their head down, bumping into other phone users or lamp posts or, worse yet, into cars, so this is meant to act as a gentle reminder that smartphones come with some pitfalls and risks. 

Joking a bit, but not entirely...

• I think the first thing is to say that we're still here and listening Smiley

Apart from what's referred to here as the previous thread, we're still working through comments in threads such as this. In particular, that raised problems in identifying the authors of posts, and conversely finding authors' other posts, and so on. When we investigated, we found that the software we're using had gone through quite a major rebuild and upgrade. Unfortunately, that did introduce one or two issues in this area (of authors and their posts). So, rather than try to change things ourselves, we concluded that the right thing to do was to install the latest (minor) upgrade, and check what that resolved. I'm about to test that now (on our test system).

I'm sorry that these things take time, and we have to fit them in alongside other, unrelated, work on our family of sites.

Regarding oktanol's comment above about sign ins, I've been trying to reproduce that problem. I have not been able to do so. The principle is that you shouldn't be able to post a message until you are signed in - so you shouldn't lose the message during the sign-in process. Please let me know what I've missed if that is what is happening to you. To be able to reproduce it, I really need to know the exact sequence of steps (e.g. where you start your message, which button you use to sign in, what you see, and so on).

The sign-in process is not specifically part of the Community. We have a single sign-on system covering this Community, the main WWW site and (for professionals who work with autism) Network Autism. The idea is that you can sign in once and use all the sites. We know it's not perfect - for example, sign-ins last longer on the Community than on the WWW site - and that's something else we've got on the list to look at. Hopefully, though, it's less confusing than remembering separate sign-ins for each site.

What I did find in testing for oktanol's issue is a possibly-related one affecting sign-ins via the Reply button. We're working on that too. Hopefully the fix for that one won't be long.

Keep the ideas coming!

• WebPM said:
    Regarding oktanol's comment above about sign ins, I've been trying to reproduce that problem. I have not been able to do so. The principle is that you shouldn't be able to post a message until you are signed in - so you shouldn't lose the message during the sign-in process. Please let me know what I've missed if that is what is happening to you. To be able to reproduce it, I really need to know the exact sequence of steps (e.g. where you start your message, which button you use to sign in, what you see, and so on).

Well, that's what I mean, the assumption is that everybody is always signed in when trying to post something, but the reality is that (also because unlike on many other websites you don't stay logged in when you switch the internet off but, also unlike some other websites, you can read everything without being registered or signed in) you may start reading without having signed in. Then there's something that catches your attention and you totally forget about signing in, you would really like to comment on it so you type some half an A4 page long comment, done, click Reply - bamm, all gone. Because when you click Reply and you aren't signed in it takes you the Sign In page, then you sign in and instead of going back to the thread where you had just typed your comment it takes you either to a page asking for donations or to one telling you that there are currently no vaccant jobs with the NAS (which on top of being annoying because of losing your comment can both be a bit of a trigger for some). It kicks you completely out of the community area, so to get back you have to click several links and of course when you are back to the thread of interest there is no sign of your comment anymore.

A presumably relatively easy solution to this (not my idea, it's used on many other websites) would be to inactivate the comment field unless you are signed in because then you can't start typing without having signed in and the whole (presumably more complicated thing) to take you to another page while keeping your comment and then taking you back there would simply not be needed anymore.

• Wow, just reading this made my head spin...

Turns out it's all comparably easy on a laptop.

Reply Children
No Data