neighbour is aware we are an autistic family (myself and 2 children) yet shining high beam lights into bedrooms for the last year since he failed in a boundary dispute. yet no professionals see this as a 'hate' crime or act on it.

Parents
  • could any offer us advice, as its been shining into bedrooms until 2 in the morning and affecting us severely? the lights purposely angled towards our bedrooms.

• Hi Aikidonicki,

I couldn't make much out from the picture...are those lights directly underneath your neighbours house and his windows or are they directly up against your wall and underneath your windows?

Sometimes local councils have a neighbourhood liaison officer who may be able to help mediate with neighbour disputes. Your local council also may be able to offer you further advice on what may constitute light or noise pollution?

Failing that, it may be possible that your neighbour is trying to intentionally disturb or offend you- in which case I would buy blackout blinds and blackout curtains and not let him win!

Best of luck.

• they are on the boundary and angled towards our bedroom windows.  i have put up black nets to mitigate the light pollution. the spacing between the terrace houses only metre's away. it shines through the blinds due to the angles (boundary only a few metres away). 

• they are on the boundary and angled towards our bedroom windows.  i have put up black nets to mitigate the light pollution. the spacing between the terrace houses only metre's away. it shines through the blinds due to the angles (boundary only a few metres away). 

Children
  • Sounds more like he is abusing his power. 

what about an MP to discuss the issue with?

• not only does her work for the council himself, he is using this 'power' against us. For example sound recording equipment for 10 days to record the family.  Very intimidating.

• Have you contacted your local council to see if they have a 'liaison person' who deals with neighbour disputes?

So, these lights are in the ground on the boundary path between your house and his and they are directed up at your bedroom windows?

Is it possible to put in a fence on your side which might cover them up from your view?

I don't think nets would work... I am thinking of thick black out roller blinds, if you put them up on the inside recess of your bedroom windows they might surely black out all light from outside, regardless of what angle it is coming in at?

Its really hard because, even if he is in the wrong, (and its not fair what he is doing) you don't really want to antagonise your neighbours; however, if you can find your own solution (like a fence perhaps) without it involving him it would mean he has no power over you; as this is what these sorts of things tend to really be about...power struggles?