Finding it difficult to express myself.....

I can chit chat away but at the centre of things I find it incredibly difficult to express my feelings and what I want and need. As a result I can feel isolated and unsupported. Does anyone else have this issues and what strategies to you use to help manage this.

thank you.

A typical aspie-NT conversation about feelings:

NT: What’s wrong?

Aspie: I don’t know.

NT: You look upset.

Aspie: . . .

NT: Are you sad? Angry?

Aspie: I don’t know.

NT: It’s okay. You can tell me.

Aspie: . . .

NT: Fine. Don’t tell me. I was just trying to help.

• Yes, that makes perfect sense! What about when kids misbehave? Do you find it ok to shout at them etc? How are you with conflict?

• ...well this is my 17th year doing it......it has meant a lot of wrinkles (I'm 42) but I think living a confused ND life in an NT world has also contributed to that...., and the kids like the fact that I work hard and I'm not conventional....so a pleasant surprise....

So i can talk about my subject and being in a classroom is a "performance" you deliver information and knowledge...so it looks like you are communicating.....but you are just speaking....it is a good way to give a mask of "normality" - if that makes sense!...you know your topic...so you know you're not going to stuff it up and you wrote the script!

• That's true, kids don't hold back haha. I'm glad you've found your niche, it sounds like a great fit for you Slight smile

• ) ( said:

Always try to be yourself no matter what route you end up taking.

I lost me long ago.I have become the” near enough” to fit and exist me.

Sound advice Mr W.  ......time to claw back the self and start a revolution!!!

• I am a geek....computer science (which also attracts alot of autistics)...so have taught many but until recently didn't stick the badge onto myself!

In the past I have taught GCSE right up to honours degree level.......presently GCSE and A Level.

I love the kids...they are honest and easier to work with and understand....it is the grown ups you have to watch for!! - lol

• Quick reply as normality beckons!

A great deal of us survive in,teaching,computer programming,carers ,philosophers, or if just one ingredient is missing then whatever can be considered a place to just exist, me working where fitting in is easier, non intellectual mundane manual work. I have poor memory due to dyslexic traits, a cross I have to bear.

Some cannot exist and find themselves just keeping out of it as much as they ca,

none of us should have to try to fit in but until Society accepts us for what we are” just a little different” then that is what we must do.

Always try to be yourself no matter what route you end up taking.

I lost me long ago.I have become the” near enough” to fit and exist me.

• Good points! What age group are you teaching? And which subject? Do you struggle with aspects of the job?

• Who said I chose it....

it works quite well from an ND perspective:

• you get to talk about your special interest
    • you work alone
    • you create your environment.....
    • and from the empathic side of things...you get to help others 
  • Wow, that's a brave choice of career! x

• Yes, always remember to exercise your true self! Even if it's just when you're on your own and don't have to worry about what other people are thinking x

• I work as a teacher...the learning curve has come out of necessity! - :o

• Oh i see, thanks for explaining that. These sorts of people skills always impress me because i don't have this ability. But perhaps i can at least improve with practice. To be that adaptable must be really useful but i can see how you sometimes feel your essence gets lost. I'm glad you've found somewhere you can be yourself.

• Er,,,well,,,I will keep my shoes on me thinks Lol.

I tend to research everything to it’s fullest,maybe in a few months time I will know all there is to know about myself?

Well ok after 50 odd years I haven’t learnt much but onward and upward,

A tricky subject matter to be sure ha ha.

• Same.....

hope your feet are clean...

• Ooh a star,  unreachable but somehow offering such potential,shining bright but distance means the lites May have burnt out light years ago,very intriguing professor, I will lie back on the couch, get your pen and paper at the ready Lol.

just having fun ellie,x()x

• I’ll be the moon.....if you’d be the stars,.....lol

• Interesting question,maybe you are the moon lighter ?Lol.

• ) ( said:
    maybe a councillor moonlighting

You or her? Interesting......... mmmmm Thinking 

• That checkout lady last week, I was aching and the stress of uncaring shoppers bashing trolleys,abandoning then just anywhere and generally walking straight through you,well I wasn’t feeling like pleasantries, I hesitated and said how long have you got, I expected her to say,oh never mind then ,or oh, but she actually did want to know, maybe a councillor moonlighting Lol,

• i know what you mean...

Examples....

“good afternoon madam, how are you today?”

Fine thank you, but are you?”

and

“can I help you, what are you looking for?”

”the meaning of life....where can I find it please?”

but to give the world a chance I mostly keep my gob shut! Lol